Spanish Navy Isla (Isle) de Luzon, built in 1886 for the Spanish Navy as a second-class cruiser. circa 1915. The U.S. Navy took possession of her, following the Spanish-American war and had her towed to Singapore to repair damage. She was reboilered with Babcock & Wilcox boilers in 1911 and now had two smoke stakes USS Isla de Luzon commissioned in the United States Navy on 31 January 1900, Commander J. V. B. Bleecker in command. After going through the Suez Canal, she arrived at Pensacola, Florida on 16 March 1903. Later she was transferred to the Missouri Naval Militia, and, two years later, to the Illinois Naval Militia on the Great Lakes. During World War I, in April 1917, Isla de Luzon was located in Chicago as a training vessel on the Great Lakes. The Isla de Luzon decommissioned 15 February 1919 and was designated as yard Craft at the Naval Torpedo Station, Rhode Island until her name was struck from the Navy on 23 July 1919. The Luzon was sold 10 March 1920 the Bahama & West Indies Trading Co., New York and renamed Reviver. The photograph is signed by Admiral George Dewey and was a gift from Charles L. Howard to the officer’s mess at the Glenview Naval Air Station. George Dewey (December 26, 1837 – January 16, 1917) was Admiral of the Navy, the only person in American history to have attained the rank. He is best known for his victory at the Battle of Manila Bay during the Spanish–American War. In 1858 he was assigned executive lieutenant of the USS Mississippi, at the beginning of the Civil War. Dewey participated in the Capture of New Orleans and the Siege of Port Hudson. He was promoted to Commodore in 1896 and assigned to the Asiatic Squadron. After the appointment, Dewey began preparing for war with Spain, which started in April 1898. At the start of the war, Dewey headed an attack on Manila Bay, sinking the entire Spanish Pacific fleet, while suffering only a few casualties. Post the victory at Manila Bay Dewey was promoted to Admiral of the Navy in 1903.